New Faculty Orientation (NFO)
The Provost's Office sponsors an annual comprehensive, two-day orientation for all new full-time faculty and instructors. NFO covers tenure and promotion standards, available resources for research, and provides opportunities to meet colleagues from across campus. The Office for Teaching and Learning (OTL) facilitates a portion of NFO designed to introduce our staff and services to new faculty. NFO occurs at the start of the semester each year in August.
For up to date information visit the Faculty Orientation website.
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grants
The OTL, with support from the Provost's Office, offers both travel grants as well as educational development grants that can be utilized for the professional development of Wayne Sate Faculty. Receiving one of these grants is an honor, and individual recipients are not the only beneficiaries, as the student body and the University as a whole benefit when grants are awarded.
Faculty Teaching Travel Grant (FTTG)
The FTTG Program is designed to help Wayne State University's faculty members participate in or present at conferences, workshops, and other professional development activities that expose faculty to the latest pedagogical research related to effective teaching. This also supports the teaching mission of the university. FTTG funds are available throughout the academic year.
Educational Development Grants (EDG)
EDGs can be used for a wide variety of teaching related experiences, such as
- the application of new technologies in the teaching of specific courses
- the development of new techniques to enhance instruction, enrich resource materials, and provide new learning experiences in specific courses and programs
- the development of new courses to support new programs or new areas of study
- the improvement of evaluation procedures within a given course or program
- the development of new techniques in such areas as advising, counseling, and library usage
- innovative use of our urban environment to provide a resource for certain courses or programs
Faculty and academic staff as defined by the WSU/AAUP-AFT Agreement are invited to apply for awards under this provision. Proposals will be evaluated by the EDG Committee and judged according to their quality and the degree to which they promise to contribute to the educational mission of the University as perceived by the Committee.
EDG funds are available once per year during the winter semester. Check the Educational Development Grant website each December for the upcoming information.